Friday, May 13, 2011

Rainbow brick road

It's no secret that I like colour.  When I moved into my new apartment, I had to do a huge overhaul on my wardrobe.  I go through my closet at least once a month to cull and bring the stuff that I don't want anymore to consignment (yes, I have a lot of clothing, and yes, I could probably shop a bit less).  One day I went to my closet and noticed that there was an overwhelming abundance of black, white and grey - it freaked me out a bit because that isn't my personality at all.  I threw on my black jacket and made a quick dash to do some retail damage to brighten up my wardrobe.

If you've seen some of the pictures of my home, you'll see that I am not shy about using small doses of colour here and there.  I find the brightness lightens my mood and often stimulates my tired soul.

I've been to Macau, China, twice.  It's the hometown of my mother and has a very interesting mix of architecture due to the colonization of the island by Portugal.  Rich colours from both cultures line the tiled streets.

Whether it's the Flavelas of Brazil or the rainbow filled districts of Singapore, these pictures remind me that here is so much more to see in this world.



Flavelas in Rio and San Paulo, Brazil - by Haas&Hahn

pic name
Singapore

pic name
Malaysia

pic name
Bo Kaap - S. Africa



pic name
Detroit

pic name
 Rotterdam, Holland

pic name
China

pic name
Macau, China




pic name
Jonna Pohjalainen, Finland

pic name
K. Dimopoulos, Vancouver

pic name
Alicante, Spain


If I had a magic carpet or an unlimited amount of funds like Scrooge McDuck, I'd travel to each of these places to feast my eyes on the technicolor architectural of that city/ neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment