Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Wonderful Mr. Asker, Mrs. Bygel and Ms. Grundtal

The Ikea kitchen organizers have been the go to space saving solution for years.  If there was a fan club, I'd be the president.  What I love about the systems is that you can configure it the way that suits your needs and can be used just about anywhere.  You can mix and match the systems and they are relatively easy to install.  I've seen people use them as planters (the asker and the gruntal systems), as lid holders, in the kitchen, in the office, as shoe organizers - the lists are endless.  Here's how the Ikea kitchen organizers have helped me:

Kitchen
I lamented at the beginning of the month that my kitchen was looking blah.  In addition to the blah-ness, I was running out of room in my cupboards and needed a solution fast.  I had already installed a wall organizer of bygel shelves and rails and I was pretty pleased with the way that it turned out:


Here's what I used:


pic name
Grundtal S-Hooks (medium) x 3

pic name
Bygel Wire Basket x 6

pic name
Bygel Rail (55 cm) x 7


I had never drilled holes into tile before so I was a bit nervous.  But I found this ehow link that helped me out a great deal.  Also, it was the first installation project I did without the help of my boyfriend.  I also bought this kit to ensure that I didn't mess up my tiles:
Rubi Easy Gres Ceramic Diamond Drill Bits
What you'll need:
  • Appropriate screws (ask the hardware personnel to find the right one for you)
  • Diamond Drill Bits
  • Electrical Drill
  • Gloves
  • Safety Goggles
  • Exact-o Knife
  • Masking Tape
It took a while to get my hands steady and there were times when the drill bit would "skate away".  I found it really helped to put tape on the spot where you want to make a hole and, using an exact o knife, mark an x so that the drill bit will stay in place:
Courtesy of Tilers Forum

It gets pretty messy and I felt like I was using a jack hammer (which freaked me out a bit) - but here's the finished product:





These are the products that I used:


pic name
Bekvam Spice Rack x 3

pic name
Asker Containers (2 large and 3 small)

pic name
Bygel S-Hooks x 1 pack


pic name
Grundtal S-Hooks (large) x 2 packs

pic name
Bygel Rail (100 cm) x 1



The Sewing Room and Office:
The Ikea wall organizers are also popular in the office.  Here's what I did:

I used:


pic name
Bygel Basket x 1

pic name
Bygel Rail (100 cm)

pic name
Bygel Basket x 1




At this point, I just couldn't stop.

As Planters:
I've seen lots of postings from people who have used the Asker containers as planters.


pic name
Heavy Petal

pic name
Shayna's Kitchen

pic name
Knock Knocking


Time to bring out that electrical drill and get working, again.  Here's what I did (okay, I lied - my boyfriend did this):



I chose succulents and a mini fern because they are low maintenance.  It doesn't look like it in the picture because it's raining today, but this spot gets lots of sunlight.  Previously, I had put some plants in my Asker containers in my kitchen but there wasn't enough sun (my boyfriend says "I told you so") and they started to look withered.

I used:
 



pic name

pic name

pic name

So there you have it - the story of how Mr. Asker, Mrs. Bygel, and Ms. Grundtal prettied up my home.

Thanks, Pals!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS IDEA! Me and Bone Rack will implement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so creative! i want to copy it all lol...great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your kitchen faucet and the hanger of mug behind it. Its just awesome. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete